Building Use Requests

St. Paul’s facilities can accommodate a variety of special events. Community groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Weight Watchers, WIC, and AARP rent Fellowship Hall on a weekly/monthly basis. Weddings are held in the sanctuary, and can be followed by a reception in Fellowship Hall. St. Paul’s has been the site of concerts, rummage sales and bazaars, dinners and more. To inquire about the use of the sanctuary or Fellowship Hall, and obtain an application with the building use policy, please contact us at info@littlefallsuu.org or leave a message on the church telephone.

Directions

 

If you are using GPS, just enter our Street Address from above.

Without GPS, coming from the West on I-90 (The NYS Thruway):

  • Exit the Thruway at Exit 30 (Herkimer)
  • Keep right out of the toll booth and follow route 28 North for 0.8 miles to route 5.
  • Follow route 5 East (toward Little Falls) about 7.5 miles to Albany Street.
  • Turn (left) into Albany Street.
  • The church is a red brick church on the right, across from a small shopping area.

Without GPS, coming from the East on I-90 (The NYS Thruway):

  • Exit the Thruway at Exit 29A (Little Falls)
  • Go straight out of the toll booth onto route 169 north about 2 miles to route 5.
  • Turn left (West) onto route 5 at the stop sign.
  • Follow route 5 West about 0.8 miles to Ann Street
  • Turn (right) onto Ann Street
  • Turn right at the first intersection onto Albany Street.
  • The church is a red brick church on the right, across from a small shopping area.

Weekly Events

Weekly Calendar

Coffee Hour Sunday after Church in Fellowship Hall
Choir Rehearsal (new members welcome) Sunday after Church
Board of Trustees 2nd Monday of the month at 6:30 pm
UUW 1st Wednesday of the month at 12:30 pm
Men’s Breakfast Club 1st Friday of the month at 9:00 am
Food Pantry Collection 3rd Sunday of the month
Newsletter (Chalice) Deadline 3rd Sunday of the month
Newsletter (Chalice) Distribution 4th Sunday of the month

Order of Sunday Service

  • PRELUDE
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • CHOIR INTROIT
  • OPENING WORDS
  • LIGHTING THE CHALICE words by Christine Robinson
    • Leader: We gather this hour as people of faith.
      With joys and sorrows, gifts and needs.
    • People: We light this beacon of hope,
      sign of our quest for truth and meaning,
      in celebration of the life we share together.
  • OPENING HYMN
  • WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
    • Love is the doctrine of this Church,
      the quest of truth is its sacrament,
      and service is its prayer.
      To dwell together in peace,
      to seek knowledge in freedom,
      to serve humanity in fellowship—
      to the end that all souls shall grow
      into harmony with the Divine.
      Thus do we covenant with one another
      and with our God.
  • ANTHEM / SPECIAL MUSIC
  • SHARING OF JOYS, SORROWS & CONCERNS
  • CONVERSATION FOR ALL AGES (optional)
  • OFFERTORY
  • PRESENTATION OF THE OFFERING
    • Rejoice in love we know and share,
      in love and beauty everywhere;
      Rejoice in truth that makes us free,
      and in the good that yet shall be.
  • PRAYER, MEDITATION AND CHIMES
  • RESPONSIVE READING
  • READING(S)
  • HYMN
  • SERMON
  • CLOSING HYMN
  • CLOSING WORDS
  • EXTINGUISHING THE CHALICE words by Elizabeth Jones
    • We extinguish this flame but not the light of truth,
      The warmth of community, or the fire of commitment.
      These we carry in our hearts until we are together again
  • CONGREGATIONAL RESPONSE
  • POSTLUDE (Please remain seated to listen)

History

Church History

The roots of Universalism in this area go back to between 1814 and 1816 when a society was formed in Eaton’s Bush. Hosea Ballou preached in Eaton’s Bush, attracting the attention of people in Little Falls. In about 1818, Dolphus Skinner began the occasional ministry which he continued for many years.

As early as 1829, a Universalist Society met in Little Falls in various locations and by the 1830’s a definite attempt was made to establish a church here. In 1842, Dolphus Skinner and Aaron B. Grosh were hired to preach alternately, with Dolphus Skinner preaching the first sermon on October 2, 1842 in the Old Stone School House. In 1844, a new church building was dedicated in which the Universalists had a half-interest with the other half being divided between the Methodists and the Baptists.

In 1848, the Rev. J. R. Harter became the first settled minister of Universalism in Little Falls. During his ministry, on May 3, 1851, the present organization was formed as the First Universalist Society of Rockton. The corner stone of the building in which we worship today was laid in 1867. It was dedicated on June 9, 1868 and the name “Saint Paul’s Universalist Church of Little Falls New York” was adopted. With the merger of the Unitarian and the Universalist denominations in 1961, our congregation became a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association. In 2011, we celebrated Saint Paul’s 160th anniversary.

Membership

Becoming a Member

The acceptance of a creed or any particular statement of belief is not required for membership. By signing a membership book, any person 16 years of age or older may become a member of this church.